中英网论坛

查看: 1659|回复: 5
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Daily Echo (Southampton每日新闻)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2003-5-8 04:15 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式

准备让大家对即将前往生活和学习的城市有更多的了解,所以尽量每天给大家一些城市新闻……基本都是从Southampton的日报中摘取的……希望大家喜欢!

让我们从一件有趣的新闻开始:
===========================
Date Published: Wednesday 07 May 2003

One for the road, sir!
by Sian Davies

登录/注册后可看大图

THIS was the scene of devastation when a car ended up parked inside a pub after ploughing into the bar.

Customers and staff ran for cover as the Vauxhall Cavalier was driven straight into the pub before performing a three-point turn inside - ending up wedged against a pillar.

It happened at the popular Lord Arthur Lee pub in Fareham. Doors, chairs and tables were sent flying.

A spokeswoman for Hampshire police said the man at the wheel of the car, who was arrested at the scene yesterday morning, was believed to be a disgruntled customer who had previously been barred.

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-5-7 20:46:19编辑过]

分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友 微信微信
收藏收藏 顶 踩
2#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-8 18:28 | 只看该作者

Pubs could pay for drunken vandalism

Date Published: Wednesday 07 May 2003

Pubs could pay for drunken vandalism

PUBS and clubs in Southampton may have to pay for damage caused by drunken youngsters which costs the city hundreds of thousands of pounds every year.

The latest idea to crack down on drink-related vandalism and violence in the city centre emerged at the final meeting of a long-running inquiry into antisocial behaviour in the city.

The inquiry team, led by chairman Councillor Paul Russell, is due to present its findings to the city council on June 10.

Cheap and easily available alcohol and a "binge-drinking" culture are being blamed as the main causes of violence among the city's young people.

Members of the panel are also urging city leisure bosses to encourage activities for youngsters which are not drink-related.

The idea has been welcomed by the chairman of the Southampton Federation of Residents' Associati[&&&&&@@@@@] Peter Wirgman. He said the lives of many residents in the city were being blighted by groups of drunk and unruly youngsters.

He said: "It is a nice idea but how it would be framed to be effective I really don't know."

But the "polluter pays" idea was condemned by club and pub owners across the city.

Rob Curruthers, manager of Walkabout in Southampton, said: "The **** sets down quite strict licensing laws which govern us.

"You can't serve someone who appears to be drunk. We abide by that law and licensing officers are there to make sure we abide by that law.

"Without a doubt, people do drink and get aggressive but there are lots of people who don't.

"Should we be held resp[&&&&&@@@@@]ible for people's emotional make-up? I don't know whether someone is going to get punchy."

He added that people may get drunk at their home or in other pubs which were not as well run as his own.

He said: "Why should I be held resp[&&&&&@@@@@]ible. Do you just tax everybody? I have a fabulous track record. Why should I pay for other licensed premises which are not as strict as my own."

He was backed by Liz Treadwell, assistant manager at Southampton's Academy nightclub. She said the club had regular monthly meetings with residents and the council to try to tackle problems arising from customers' behaviour.

She said: "We do have a certain resp[&&&&&@@@@@]ibility for our customers but we try to prevent it and we are doing all we can."

The proposal has also been condemned by Southampton and District Licensed Victuallers Association, which said it would "vigorously oppose" any move to charge pubs and clubs a levy for antisocial behaviour.

Chairman Peter Smith said that the council should take resp[&&&&&@@@@@]ibility itself for allowing more pubs and clubs to open in the city centre.

He said: "This is nothing new. It has been tried before in other parts of the country.

"I don't think that resp[&&&&&@@@@@]ible landlords should be penalised for the antisocial behaviour of other people.

"The council seems to have got its facts wrong.

"The people that are causing these nuisances, we suffer from them as well.

"We see then tanked-up in town and they are causing hassle and trouble. Why should the many pay for the few?"
3#
发表于 2003-5-8 07:26 | 只看该作者
这样太辛苦了吧.
4#
发表于 2003-5-8 04:17 | 只看该作者
i like it.........
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-8 04:18 | 只看该作者
Thanks ^^
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-5-8 04:25 | 只看该作者
再来一条校内新闻:

Students create 'enchanted forest' for local schoolchildren
Ref: 03/57 2 May 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

登录/注册后可看大图

University of Southampton students Samuel Clements, Ella Clarke and Reetu Sood have been weaving some gardening magic at Swaythling Primary School in the city to create an 'enchanted forest' in the school grounds.

Leading a team of around 50 student volunteers and working closely with the school's head teacher Dennis Martin, the three students, who are all members of volunteer group Student Community Action, have designed an exciting nature garden and jungle trail complete with educational displays about the environment. The forest trail, which is entered through a 'secret' archway also features an outdoor classroom and a 'hideaway' hut, from which youngsters can study wildlife visiting the school's pond.

The whole school gathered in the playground for the opening ceremony with the Mayor of Southampton, Councillor Brian Parnell, the Mayor of Eastleigh, Councillor Gillian Connell, and the University's Vice-Chancellor Professor Bill Wakeham among the VIP guests, together with Professor Wakeham's wife Sylvia, who is patron of Student Community Action.

Councillor Parnell said: 'This is a great initiative. The garden has been well thought out and will bring a lot of pleasure to future generati##被过滤## of schoolchildren, as well as teaching them about the environment. On behalf of the city, I would like to thank everyone at the University for their contribution to this project, especially the student volunteers. I don't think the public realises how much students contribute to the community.'  

Project leader Samuel Clements said: 'When we asked for volunteers to help with the project the resp##被过滤##e was tremendous, with around 50 students giving up their free afterno##被过滤## and weekends over the past six months to help create the forest. As part of the project we have also been giving talks to the schoolchildren about the environment, setting quizzes and picture competiti##被过滤##, and producing teaching materials.

'By creating a stimulating environment for children to learn in, I hope the importance of the wildlife around them, as well as that of more exotic habitats will become apparent.'

The Enchanted Forest project received over £9,000 in Millennium Awards' funding from the National Lottery. In addition, Samuel, Ella and Reetu were given teamwork training by the Young People's Trust for the Environment and Nature C##被过滤##ervation, a charity with more than 20 years experience in the field of environmental education, in preparation for the project.

The students paid special thanks to Student Community Action co-ordinator, Ruth French, their mentor on the project, for her support. Anyone wishing to volunteer their services or suggest future projects for the SCA volunteers can contact Ruth on 023 8059 5209.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes for editors:
The University of Southampton is a leading UK teaching and research institution with a global reputation for leading-edge research and scholarship. The University, which celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2002, has 20,000 students and over 4,500 staff and plays an important role in the City of Southampton. Its annual turnover is in the region of £235 million.

[此贴子已经被作者于2003-5-7 20:46:58编辑过]

您需要登录后才可以回帖

本版积分规则

QQ|排行榜|小黑屋|Archiver|UKER.net ( 沪ICP备11021479号-1  

GMT+8, 2024-4-23 20:18