设为首页收藏本站
投诉及帮助: 点击这里给我发消息

中英网论坛

查看: 3708|回复: 3

[生活琐碎] 【转】我在英国的学校和生活----exeter uni 交通, 购物

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-5-19 09:25 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
下飞机到EXETER一般选择有两种交通 工具(sth wrong with my chinese typing system  ):coach or railway.

coach(about 19 pounds) is much cheaper than railway(more than 30),for detail you can check

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.nationalexpress.com/neh.cfm

(coach)

for the railway, you need to transfer via the express or underground from the airport to the paddington station ,though the train is quicker ,adding the time waiting for transfer will cost you more than 4hours ,the same as the coach , I prefer not try this at your first time .

if you decide to go exeter by coach ,follow the "central bus station" indicator after reclaiming your luggage ,remember NOT to follow the "express" indicator (I made this stupid mistake myself when I first came here as the coach is also called express  ),and if you arrive very late at night(ie by virgin,) and the ticket office is closed, do not worry ,you can buy your ticket directly from the coach driver when the coach arrives as well! but do ask someone where to wait.

Do remember to change some coins with you ,and you can make a phonecall either for your parents or the person who pick you up since you may be delayed at the CUSTOM HOUSE ,and you can make a phonecall to the taxi agency (you always need to book a taxi rather than wait besides the road as you did in CHAINA )as you can not carry your luggage from the coach station to your accommodation, and one local number of a agency in exeter is 013926 666666,(there are other numbers that i do not remember now)

the place where you can claim your key is at CORNWALL domestic office on the campus, and DO check its opening time (there are some information on your accommodation handout sending to you after your accommodation confirmation. after a short rest ,there are loads of things for you to buy.

there are two supermarket on the high street ,tesco(well known for its cheap price ) and sainsbury(in the guidehall on the high street),which I prefer as its bigger and good quality and freshness. BUT you can not buy any pot or pan and tableware or on-bed-stuff from the supermarket.

I recommend buy stuff in WOOLWORTH, just near sainsbury to buy these things as there are always on sale ,and do not buy pot or pan just because it is cheap ,a good pan can save you a lot of time for washing(i hate washing) and money for replacement!!!! I bought a stainless TEFAL (french brand) PAN less than 15pounds when it was on sale and there is no doublt it can be in good condition for more than 3 years !same as the on-bed-stuff,it is really important in your daily life ,do nor save in those things.

or you can pick up a handout form ARGOS,(a real heavy one!thousands of products with pictures and price and functi##被过滤## on it), or you can go to the POUND LAND to buy some small things ,everything for only pounds,its 200miters left of tesco along the high street.

学校位于DEVON 郡,是有名的风景旅游地,尤其夏天度假,所以消费水平相对较高,听说排全英第四  ,EXETER 为郡首府,离海约30分钟车程, 学校内有一银行NATWEST,但是劝大家别图一开始的方便,因为入学期间会有很多学生报着就近的想法去那个分行开账户,所以要等大于两星期的时间才能拿到卡和密码(我等了一个月),而且对于申请CREDIT CARD 的要求很高,所以大家可以去HIGH STREET 上找银行开,虽然离学校有点路程,但是因为大家基本都是自炊住宿,所以平均每星期要去HIGH STREET 一次以上,所以还是比较方便的。HALIFAX 的利息教高,但CREDIT CARD 好像要开账号3(又好像是6)个月以后才有资格申请。

HSBC 申请CREDIT CARD 相对教宽松,一个月以后就可以申请,而且距的很少。还有可以注意一下银行的NOTICE ,为了抢客源,在开学高峰期会有不同的优惠或鼓励政策。关于手机,这里有两种方式,PAY AS YOU GO 和 PAY MONTHLY,第一种买张卡就可以用,但是手机得自己带。

第二种需要签一年合同,选择套餐服务 一般都会送手机,不过对与新出的手机,会额加费用或者要求保险,不过,可以和店员BARGAIN 的。

由于一些这里的中国留学生拿了手机,付了一个月或几个月的BILL就回国溜之大吉,现在商家对签约手机卡的比教紧,刚来的学生被锯也很有可能。
发表于 2010-5-19 12:50 | 显示全部楼层
我去推荐啦!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-6-2 15:17 | 显示全部楼层
lz,请问Exeter的消费水平相对要高多少啊?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖

本版积分规则