设为首页收藏本站
投诉及帮助: 点击这里给我发消息

中英网论坛

查看: 18019|回复: 50
打印 上一主题 下一主题

A-level 2 years are better than Foundation 1 year.

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2008-5-30 08:00 | 显示全部楼层 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
It took me 2 years to complete the A-level studies but I still think it was worthwhile .   The reason is that you are learning in a complete English speaking environment with local English students.   The class size is very small compared to the senior high school in China, hence you get a good tuition from the teachers (they talk to you more), and you have more opportunities to speak, discuss problems with the class.  The atmosphere is just fantastic.  You normally take 3 to 4 subjects and the whole week will be full of less##被过滤##, therefore ideal for intense learning.
Another good aspect of the A-level is that you get the pressure from the teachers. You are forced to finish your homework otherwise you will get detenti##被过滤## after school.  By doing homework, you c##被过滤##olidate your knowledge which is useful throughout your lives.  

From the above you learn very good English, but this is not the only thing.  You also acquire very useful knowledge and gain good skills which are very useful even at universities and at professional work.  It is the interface between Secondary education and the Tertiary education. The freedom of A-level allows you to go beyond the depth of high school to reach the university level.  For example, "Further Maths" offers challenges to talented students who wants more maths which has the depth of the University level.

"Economics and Business Studies" offers a very thorough basic knowledge of Economics, Business and Finance which enables students to possess the ability to do business themselves.   
I must say that "Economics and Business Studies" is a superb super course which stretches your mind in all directi##被过滤## and making you flexible in thinking, creative in being efficient and delicate in communication.

Physics and Chemistry courses are very practical (labs and lab exams) as well as broad in theoretical knowledge.  They emphasise more on the description and the applicati##被过滤## rather than difficult calculati##被过滤##.

These are what I know about the A-level, and I really think it is a brilliant course to take.  Now, the A-level is harder due to the increase NO. of bright students.  I don't know whether this is true or not and I would like to hear about it from you who are taking it or who have just finished it not long ago.

[ 本帖最后由 singsong 于 2009-2-17 06:08 编辑 ]

评分

查看全部评分

分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友 微信微信
收藏收藏 顶 踩
2#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-1 06:11 | 显示全部楼层

So do you think the A-Level now is harder compared to years ago?
3#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-1 13:46 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 葬月尘寰 于 2008-6-1 07:19 发表

I think so.'cause there are more and more smart people study here.(especially Chineses )

compete with them , more pressure now anyway...

Too tough yeah?
Chinese students are very powerful, they usually have fairly good and c##被过滤##istent performances.
4#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-1 17:22 | 显示全部楼层
Well, of course it is better.
It is even better with tougher competiti##被过滤##.  You work harder and learn how to cope with pressures.
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-2 07:25 | 显示全部楼层
I was just lucky 3 years ago.
At that time the A-Level was not as hard as it is now, a low A was the same as a high A.
So I got some low As and got into a good university.  Now I don't think I can get in the same uni.
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-2 21:41 | 显示全部楼层
I got 2 A and 2 B, not very impressive.
but i got in a good uni.
Now , i can't .
7#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-3 06:43 | 显示全部楼层
I started with Maths, Physic, Chemistry and "Economics and Buiness Studies".
Then in the first half of AS level, I could not survive in the "Economics and Business Studies",  too difficult and too many essays.
I gave up the EBS, and I switched to Further Maths.  Then i had no tuition on FM for AS-level.
So eventually they were Maths, F Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
8#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-3 19:14 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 cambridge2009 于 2008-6-3 07:56 发表
I am studying  Maths, Physic and Chemistry .....

Add another Further Maths into your studies.
Will be good for you.
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-3 19:53 | 显示全部楼层
You can learn AS F maths in A2, add value to your final A-level results.
10#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-3 21:15 | 显示全部楼层
Then now you need to study very very hard, start from this summer, learn F maths by yourself, aim to finish 3 modules and take the exams in January.  Then take another 3 exams in June, so in total you have 6 modules and you have a grade for A2 Level F maths.
11#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-3 22:39 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 葬月尘寰 于 2008-6-3 21:41 发表

Quite the same I am doing Maths, Physic, F.Maths.for AS
and Additional Further Math when I get to A2

Oh, gosh, this is tough now.
you need to work hard now, start from this summer, learn 3 A.F. Maths modules, do 3 A.F. Maths exams in January.
Then do another 3 A.F. Maths exams in June.
You will have a grade for A. F. Maths with the other 3 subjects forming 4 grades for 4 subjects.
12#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-3 22:43 | 显示全部楼层
I guess both of you want to go to Cambridge, so you need to study very very hard now.  
This summer is very important for you two.  The end of summer you have to learn everything about the 3 modules, do past papers, exercises.  
When you come back to A2, you can just take the tuition for the other 3 modules.
Should be fun.  Good luck to your cambridge and oxford dreams.
13#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-4 07:25 | 显示全部楼层
Okay, I have to give all of you the most powerful tactic of getting into a good university.

Apply for Oxbridge, Oxford or Cambridge.  This will help you to get in a good university,  I can't guarantee this but it was working for me.

I applied for Cambridge at that time, although I had AABC in the AS - Level, not good enough.  But I got offers from Bristol, Southampton and Sheffield.  I was invited to Interview at Imperial but I didn't go.

The reason why if you applied for cambridge would give you a good chance to get into other good universities was that you applied early and other uni wanted to compete with cambridge to take bright students, they thought early applicants were cambridge candidates so they intended to interview you even earlier and generally gave you an offer.

So you might try.  You can fill 5 to 6 universities, so should be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------End of Tactic--------------------------------------------------

If you took my advice and got into a good uni, could you buy me a Loongson inside computer as a gift?
If you became a rich person because of taking my advice and getting into a good uni, could you buy me 10 Loongson inside computers as gifts?
All the best to you and if you have time, read this article:
http://www.lemote.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=973&extra=page%3D1

[ 本帖最后由 singsong 于 2008-6-4 07:30 编辑 ]

评分

查看全部评分

14#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-4 07:54 | 显示全部楼层
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loongson/16096040657
my email address for future contact : southseaking@hotmail.co.uk
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questi##被过滤## about learning English.
15#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-6-4 11:30 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 cambridge2009 于 2008-6-4 10:45 发表
LZ   Can you tell me about how many students will apply Oxford per year and how many students will get offer?

Are you studying As in CHina?
Why don't you come to England?
You should come to study in England to get the books.
I don't know how many people are applying to Oxford, it is very hard to tell my friend.  I guess 10 to 20 people compete a place for an Oxford intake.  Therefore it can be very tough.  But do apply for it.
What are you going to study?  Southampton University is famous for its Engineering courses.
I failed Cambridge, but I went for an even better degree in SOuthampton University which was Electronics Engineering, now I can get a job in the UK without effort and I can do my own business too.  So aim at Oxford, and choose other good uni as well.
At AS-level, i didn't have tuition in  F. Maths, I learnt 3 modules during Easter  time by myself, I got a C at AS for F.Maths, then I had tuition at A2 for F. Maths, I turned it into a B.   I bollowed books from the school and I learnt it myself during holidays.  I solved a lot of questi##被过滤## from the books myself to c##被过滤##olidate the knowledge and understanding.
If you don't have the books , you can ask somebody bring you some from the UK.  You need to choose good modules for you F.Maths.  Do those you can learn yourself, and not those you can't learn yourself.  
Desicion maths is something you can't do youself because there is a piece of coursework .   
3 years ago, we have M1 TO M6, S1 TO S6 and P1 TO P6 .  I learnt M3,S3 and P4 for my F. Maths As- Level.
Then I did P5, M2 and M4 for A2.
Maybe you can try this , but it is very challenging to learn it yourself.
What you can do is to do M3, S3,M2 yourself, and when you come back to A2 go to D1, D2 and P4 classes.
Well, now it is different, it has changed so I can't give you the easiest combination, you can think about it.
您需要登录后才可以回帖

本版积分规则

QQ|排行榜|小黑屋|Archiver|UKER.net ( 沪ICP备11021479号-1  

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 09:38